Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Update.

My pal Jules wrote to say she likes the lighthearted nature of yesterday's “Neighbors” blog, and she likes all the comments people are leaving. I am, too. It’s funny how a lot of people who heretofore only wrote to leave scathing comments about my right-wing political beliefs have left comments and sent e-mails offering incredible support. This morning I received a link to a great blog that I haven’t had time to check out at great length, but from what I’ve seen it’s quite enlightening. Thanks to Mont D. Law for sending it.

BIBLE STUDY
Last night was the first night of Bible study, what will be a weekly event for a long time to come. I don’t like to pat myself on the back, but walking through that door may just be the single bravest act of my life. I don’t know what it is with me and church, but just being in the parking lot makes my heart palpitate. Watching 200 Dockers-clad men snaking their way towards the door, Bibles in hand, made me want to jam the key in the ignition and burn rubber to the nearest Starbuck’s.

What made me go in was thinking of my wife. There’s been a lot of struggle and tension in our household lately, and I felt that by leaving that parking lot I would in essence be turning my back on my marriage. I don’t know that church or Bible study will be what makes me a well-adjusted human being, but I do know at this point I need to consider and pursue all available options.

What was not surprising though still disappointing was the fact that there was no “bolt of lightning” making me better instantly. I guess I’ve watched too many made-for-television movies (curse you, Lifetime), but a part of me hoped that as I passed the threshold, all my anger, resentment, and sadness would be lifted from my shoulders. Quite the contrary, being in a church again nearly sent me screaming. And of course, Mr. Germaphobe was forced to shake hands with 20 people (none of whom wash after peeing, I’m sure), and endure HYMNS of all things. Egads. Needless to say, it was quite trying, but hopefully worth it in the end.

The focus of the next year’s worth of Bible study is the Book of Genesis, which is fortuitous because as regular readers know, I’ve struggled greatly in recent days with philosophical questions. The person leading the group made allusions to the fact that they do a truly in-depth study of Creationism. It won’t be the standard “God created everything in six days, let’s go have punch.” No, for the next year we’ll be studying Biblical texts IN CONTEXT, which is very important. For instance, last night the instructor said that the Book of Genesis uses several different Hebrew words for “Creation” which in fact all mean very different things. Some words mean created from whole cloth, whereas other words mean created from other things. This should be interesting and should provide me ample fodder to debate folks who hold steadfastly to non-Faith based theories of creation. You know, those people who believe fervently that all this something “just happened.” Talk about faith.

So, I’ll keep you posted on that. If I can continue to make that 50-yard walk every Monday night from my vehicle to the church, that in and of itself will be an accomplishment.

FALLOUT
This is a “teaser” in reference to the now-legendary “hella mean” blog I posted and retracted over the weekend.

Today was the first day back to the class in question, and though it is unlikely, there is still a very small chance that I will suffer some fallout for my rash words. I’ll blog more about this tomorrow (time permitting), but suffice it to say that given my history as a “personal responsibility” right-winger, I will accept any and all repercussions. I hope and pray there will be none, not for my own sake, but rather for the sake of the person I blogged about. Honestly, it kills me to think that there’s even a one-in-ten-million chance that the words of a jaded, callous 40-year old would burst the bubble of a bright-eyed, optimistic teenager who has everything in the world going for her, and everything in the world to look forward to.