Thursday, September 15, 2005

More stuff.


DODGED A BULLET
I am officially 99.999% certain that there will be no repurcussions for the "Anger Blog" I posted last weekend. The person I wrote about did not see it, nor did anyone else in class. You can't imagine how relieved I am, for myself and her.

I spoke with the instructor about the situation, and he helped me do the detective work to determine whether or not anyone had seen it. He was mercifully non-judgmental, and commented that I seemed to turn the situation into a positive. I told him, however, that I'm loathe to pat myself on the back since any "growth" I experienced was at the expense of another person.

My writing has taken a different turn this week, more towards humor, less towards anger. I've got a couple of lengthy pieces at the ready, but am trying to decide whether to submit one or both to the Stillwater Gazette. I'm trying to avoid politics altogether, but can't help noticing what's going on in Washington...

FOR INSTANCE
If you're paying attention to the John Roberts confirmation hearings, then you're aware that he is wiping the freaking floor with the folks on the committee. They would be utter fools not to confirm him.

Is anyone but me a little tired of Teddy Kennedy of all people wagging a finger of admonishment? I guess it makes sense that Kennedy would worry about the future of Roe vs. Wade. After all, what better advocate of abortion than a Senator who knows the going rate of the procedure?

Kennedy has really been quoting up a storm (no pun intended) about the Bush Administration's handling of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, and he's using the disaster as an opportunity to draw attention to the plight of the poor.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...hasn't Kennedy been in office for nigh on four decades? Hasn't he had ample opportunity to correct these supposed injustices? In fact, can it not be argued that a sizeable portion of the problem is directly attributable to a miserably failed welfare state, which Kennedy and his ilk have advocated for years?

Here's a two-fold solution to poverty: finish high school and don't have a child before you're married. That won't erase poverty, but it will provide a damned good head start and will give the folks paying the bills an indication that those affected by poverty are willing to do at least the bare minimum possible to help themselves.