Friday, October 07, 2005

Finally.


Well, I know we've all been chomping at the bit to get Trent Reznor's take on the recent tragedy in New Orleans. Reznor, to refresh your memory, is an irrelevant celebrity who rose to fame in the 90's by producing shitty, run-of-the-mill industrial/metal music. He's currently attempting to resurrect his career by embarking on a nationwide tour, and during an interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune Reznor had this to say about the Bush Administration's handling of the Hurricane Katrina disaster:

I honestly don't know how many more glaring, crystal clear examples of incompetence and criminal negligence and greed and inhumanity and racism we can see from this administration before we do something about it.

I just saw that Bush said, "I take responsibility." Well, resign then. Hundreds of people's lives, you killed them, and you killed a city because you put your friends in office. Your transparent agenda is crystal-clear. You can hide behind your homophobia and round people up behind your Bible, which is just a ploy to get your corporate buddies richer and the poor poorer. Then you see people dying on the rooftops.

I see that Reznor got his daily talking points from www.moveon.org along with Bono, Kanye West, and Michael Moore. Reznor speaks best, however, when he's waxing eloquent in his music. So let's take a trip back through time and enjoy the words of his heartwarming 1994 single, "Closer"...

you let me violate you, you let me desecrate you
you let me penetrate you, you let me complicate you
help me I broke apart my insides, help me I’ve got no soul to sell
help me the only thing that works for me, help me get away from myself
I want to fuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to fuck you like an animal
my whole existence is flawed
you get me closer to god
you can have my isolation, you can have the hate that it brings
you can have my absence of faith, you can have my everything
help me tear down my reason, help me its' your sex I can smell
help me you make me perfect, help me become somebody else
I want to fuck you like an animal
I want to feel you from the inside
I want to fuck you like an animal
my whole existence is flawed
you get me closer to god
through every forest, above the trees
within my stomach, scraped off my knees
I drink the honey inside your hive
you are the reason I stay alive

Bravo, Trent! Well done. Note particularly the comparison of the vagina to a bee hive in the last stanza. Wonderful metaphor; it couldn't have been more eloquently expressed by a seven-year old.

By the way, I worked with a gentleman in his mid-40's who swore that Nine Inch Nails were the most relevant band to ever grace the planet. Bear in mind this gentleman spent his time carousing in saloons with 21-year old co-workers while his troubled teenaged daughter made his rare moments at home sheer hell due to no parental supervision. Hopefully he'll find a babysitter, or a probation officer, to watch his daughter while he enjoys Reznor's live appearance in the Twin Cities.