Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Another quick and dirty encounter.

Blogging from school again. Tonight is the end of my school week, but it's a killer. Class is from 6-9:30, and by that time I'm dizzy with weariness. I grabbed a cup of coffee, a rare thing after 2:00, but then remembered I took a Xanax earlier so the two are probably canceling themselves out.

I think it's official, I've been starving myself and my body is telling me "Enough." Today I packed enough calories in my lunch to fuel Iran's nuclear weapons program and it still wasn't enough. I grabbed a bowl of chili in the college cafeteria (my first experience there and it was pleasant...not great, but not awful) and I'm about to head to the Student Center and microwave some lasagna.

I need carbs: STAT.

The high point in my week will be tomorrow when I work 8-2, go home, work out, shower, put on my jammies, cook dinner for my wife and I, then collapse on the couch with her to watch a DVD. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder and familiary breeds contempt, and I think both are apt. I never appreciate my wife so much as on Wednesday afternoon around this time, when all I want to do is bury my face in her hair inhaling her Aveda products and remember what it's like to squeeze her.

I blogged earlier this week about the fact that I was assigned my first official story at the newspaper as opposed to obituaries and wedding announcements, and today was the day of truth. I was pleased that my editor changed only one minor detail, otherwise it will run tomorrow word-for-word. Granted it was a "puff piece" about a pastor-turned-author, but still...when you bat a thousand in both grammar and content, that's a damned good feeling.

I'm a little sad that my dad didn't live to see me achieving tiny bits of success with my writing (he died the day before news of my "Columnist of the Year" award arrived in his mailbox), so I intend to stick this week's column and story in the mail tomorrow afternoon for mom to see.

Sorry, nothing controversial or meaningful today. Just another "Dear Diary" entry.

I will, however, say something about Kanye West. He's the rap superstar who became famous overnight last year for saying "George Bush doesn't care about black people" on a live televised awards show. Of course, he immediately became a media darling and spokesperson for the left. West is going to be on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine wearing a crown of thorns, ala Jesus Christ. All I have to say is that if the left wants to use people like Kanye West as their spokespersons, have at it. You can have Michael Moore...Al Franken...Bruce Springsteen...Billy Jo Armstrong...you can have all these pop culture dunderheads who between them don't have the I.Q. of George Will's pinky finger. You can have Teddy Kennedy...Al Gore, who recently discovered that Hillary-esque shrieking is the key to communication...Jesse Jackson...

The more you throw your lot in with people like these, the less hard the Republicans have to work to continue to kick your asses election after election. And I say this as a born again Libertarian. It's like the people who have "IMPEACH BUSH" bumper stickers on their cars. How many of them would purchase a sticker that says "ELECT PRESIDENT CHENEY"??? Same difference, and they're too blinded by abject hatred for our president to know...or care.