Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Hey ho.

Earlier this week I teased that there might be developments in my writing "career."

Also, yesterday I wrote about how the company I work for is up for sale, and I will be out of a job when that occurs.

Well, today I received word that I've been hired as an Editorial Assistant at the Stillwater Gazette, the newspaper for which I write my barn-burner of a column.

Now, before the accolades begin, let me stress that this is a bottom-rung position. In fact, it pays considerably less than my current administrative position.

It's a great opportunity for any number of reasons, however. First, it's an entry-level position in the Communications field. Second, the person who previously held the position did so for only three months, at which point he was promoted to full-time staff writer, and the same could happen to me, especially given my desire to excel and the fact that the editor is already aware of my writing skills. Also, I may as well tell you that I'm already being considered for a full-time staff writer position at the Gazette. The editor is waiting until she sees some more resumes, but the fact that she brought it up to me tells me that she at least believes I'm qualified.

Look, I'm just pleased as punch to have received the part-time Editorial Assistant position. It's a great way to prove my mettle and learn the journalism profession from the bottom up. Plus, I can keep my column, which is a bonus. If I end up becoming a full-time staff writer, all the better.

So, there you have it: the first step towards what I hope is one day a successful writing career. I'm glad you're all here to share it.