Saturday, September 24, 2005

Quick and Dirty.

I know you like it that way. Oh, yes...

Yesterday's blog caused a bit of a stir, which surprised me to a degree (though I did entitle it "Against my better judgement").

I disallowed comments for a while. Nothing huge, just a comment made that I felt might rub people the wrong way.

A former co-worker e-mailed me to say that the ladies in her office were not pleased by my piece. They felt I took every stereotype of pregnancy and made it seem like the rule. They say I failed to point out the positive aspects of pregnancy.

To which I replied: Please tell the ladies in your office that the column was humor.

I got very discouraged until I remembered another e-mail I received. A woman I respect greatly, who has several children, e-mailed to say (I'm paraphrasing) that mine was the best piece she'd ever read on pregnancy. When I pressed her for details, she nailed it. By "nailed it" I mean she communicated to me that she understands what humor is all about.

Sometimes I get discouraged because I thought that by moving to the "Big City," people would be a little more accepting of humor that approaches or even crosses "the line." Then I realize that either I or the rest of the world doesn't understand what humor is. Ironically, the person who wrote me the cautionary e-mail also sent me a link to an organization in Minneapolis that offers writing workshops. I believe I'm going to take a course in humor writing to see if I'm funny, or just a dick.

Anyway, comments will be back up next week. I hope everyone has a dandy weekend.

And, who knows...Who's News???