Friday, February 17, 2006

Happy Friday.

I hate people that say that, by the way.

Today marks the end of Week Number Two of my new job at the synagogue. Actually, it's a temple. I should know the difference, but I don't. Sorry.

I'm at that awkward point in my job where people assume I know more than I do and start to express impatience when I haven't absorbed, via osmosis, every single detail of the position. By the end of two weeks I count myself lucky if I haven't accidentally stumbled into the women's restroom instead of the men's, yet today my direct supervisor has raised his eyebrow more than once, disappointed that his trusty sidekick isn't able to pull together all the info for next week's Board meeting. "It's just like we did it last month," he explained as patiently as he could. Well, I wasn't here. Remember?

It's really strange being a full-time student and a full-time employee. And a full-time husband, I almost forgot about that. I have "important" duties at my job that, if not accomplished, adversely affect a lot of people. My homework and class schedule is overwhelming. Not to mention crapping out a column every week.

I'm not trying to sound whiny, just trying to balance everyday demands with my nagging feeling that we're all clingingly miraculously and inexplicably to a chunk of rock hurtling through space.

Have a good weekend!